These French Silk Pie Brownies are the ultimate dessert for chocoholics! Three layers of Fudgy brownie creamy French Silk Pie filling, topped with whipped topping and chocolate shavings. Plus, a secret ingredient and a tip to elevate boxed brownies and cake mixes!
These French Silk Pie Bars combine two of my favorite desserts: French Silk Pie and Fudgy Brownies. It’s no secret that I’m a huge chocoholic and this dessert scratches my itch – so to speak! My dad also loves brownies and my french silk pie. So for the both of us, dessert can’t possibly get any better!
- Boxed Brownies: you will use the mix only, not the recommended ingredients
- Instant Espresso Powder
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Cream Cheese
- Cool Whip
Don’t use Boxed Brownie Ingredients? Why not?
One of my favorite tricks to help elevate boxed brownie and cake mixes is to replace the oil and water with butter and milk – it’s a 1:1 swap! I find that these swaps give more of a bakery style result. If you don’t have these ingredients handy, you can use the boxed recommendations easily!
Why Espresso Powder?!
I promise this WILL NOT make your brownies taste like coffee. The Espresso Powder helps enhance the flavor of the chocolate. This is a trick you can use for anything that has chocolate. Making a chocolate cake? Toss a teaspoon of instant espresso powder in while making the mix! It’s a game changer!
How to make French Silk Pie Brownies
- Pour the brownie mix into a medium bowl, add melted butter, egg, milk, and espresso* powder and mix until combined
- Bake brownies according to package directions – I use a prepared 11×9 dish and bake at 350*F for approximately 25-27 minutes
- While brownies are baking, prepare French Silk Pie filling
- Melt chocolate and butter in the microwave in 30 second intervals – stirring in-between. This takes roughly 60-90 seconds depending on your microwave strength.
- Add cream cheese to a mixing bowl and mix until smooth
- Slowly add powdered sugar until fully incorporated
- Next, drizzle in the melted chocolate and continue to mixing for 2-3 more minutes
- Then, add Cool Whip to the chocolate mixture and gently fold together until no more streaks are visible
- Store in the fridge until the brownies have completely cooled down
- Once brownies are cool, take filling out of the fridge and give a quick stir
- Pour filling onto brownies and spread out
- Next, add cool whip to the top of the filling and gently smooth out
- Top with chocolate shavings and enjoy!
Note: Espresso is only added to enhance the flavor of the chocolate. The brownies will not take on a coffee flavor. However, you can omit this if you would like.
Can I use regular whipped cream?
Yes! You can easily use regular whipped cream if Cool Whip isn’t your thing. It’s VERY easy to make your own. The directions below will allow you enough whipped cream to complete this French Silk Pie Bar recipe. Follow the directions below:
- 2 cups of cold heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- One large bowl (pre-frozen)
You can make this with either a hand or stand mixer. Your choice. Use the whisk attachment and add the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla to a pre-frozen bowl. This will help the whipped cream set up. Whip until stiff peaks form. Separate the finished whipped cream and use half for the filling and half for the topping.
How can these French Silk Pie Bars be stored?
Can these be frozen? These can be frozen for up to a month. They need to stored in an air tight container and taken out to defrost several hours before serving.
Can these be made ahead of time? Yes! These French Silk Pie Brownies can be made 24 hours a head of time. Just be sure to cover them tightly and store in the fridge until needed. Take out of the fridge about 20 minutes before needed to allow for easier cutting and serving.
How long are these good for? Store leftovers in an air tight container for up to a week.
If you are looking for a total comforting dessert, I promise this is the dessert for you. Rick inhales them and there are never any leftovers when I make them for gatherings!
Looking for more delicious desserts? Check out these Fluffernutter Bars, or these family favorite No Bake Peanut Butter Bars. If your craving chocolate, these S’mores Brownies are it! Looking for something a little lighter? Try these Banana Chocolate Chip Bars!
- 1 box of brownies - Only the mix NOT the ingredients
- 1 egg
- 5 1/3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ::French Silk Pie Filling::
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate bar, chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- Chocolate Shavings, optional
- Chocolate powder, optional
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Lightly grease 11x9 baking dish
- Pour the brownie mix into a medium bowl
- Add egg, milk, melted butter, and espresso powder and stir until combined
- Pour brownie mix into prepared baking dish and bake for approximately 25-27 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center
- Allow to cool to room temperature
- Meanwhile, in a small microwavable bowl, add chopped chocolate bar and cubed butter
- Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between -This should take between 60-90 seconds. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, add cream cheese and mix until smooth
- Slowly add in powdered sugar and mix until combined
- Add vanilla extract and combine
- Drizzle melted chocolate and mix for 2-3 minutes until fully incorporated
- Next, add 8 ounces Cool Whip to chocolate mixture and gently fold together until chocolate streaks are gone.
- If needed, store in fridge until brownies are cooled
- Once brownies are cooled, spread French Silk Pie filling on top of brownies
- Then, top off with remaining 8 ounces of Cool Whip
- If desired, add chocolate shavings and/or chocolate powder
- Store in fridge before serving
Espresso powder is added to brownies to help enhance the flavor of the brownies. It will not make the brownies taste like coffee. However, if you prefer to eliminate this ingredient you can without interfering with the final product.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 442Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 116mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 35gProtein: 3g
The nutritional values above are auto calculated by a nutrition program and can vary based on brands of ingredients used.
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.