These Easy Fried Apple Pies are filled with a delicious homemade Granny Smith Apple Pie filling, wrapped in pie crust and fried in an Air Fryer! A sweet indulgent crispy treat!
Looking for more Fall themed desserts? Check out this Pumpkin Caramel Dump Cake!
This recipe combines some of Rick’s favorite things – Cinnamon Apples, Fried Food and Pie. The biggest difference is that this isn’t traditionally fried. I used an Air Fryer and they had a nice crispy exterior and a soft and sweet interior. I, personally, prefer these to a traditional Apple Pie, but I also love individual treats.
Only 9 Ingredients needed for these Fried Apple Pies
- Granny Smith Apples – great for baking or frying
- Unsalted Butter – I use unsalted butter in all my baking
- Cinnamon – for added warmth and depth of flavor
- Apple Pie Spice- can be found in your local grocer’s spice aisle
- Dark Brown Sugar – you can use light brown sugar in place of dark, but dark brown sugar here provides a little more depth of flavor
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract – I am a huge lover of vanilla extract in most of my baked goods and frequently add more – I love the flavor
- Lemon Juice
- Pre-made Pie Crust – you can also use canned biscuits
NOTE: If you opt to use canned biscuits, roll out each biscuit, fill, and seal. Fry as normal.
How to make Fried Apple Pies
Cinnamon Apple Filling: In a cast iron skillet and heat on medium high. Add butter, apples, cinnamon, apple pie spice, dark and granulated sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Use a wooden spoon to stir together. Stir frequently and cook over medium heat until apples are tender (approximately 12-15 minutes).
Helpful Tip: Use any left over filling over a bowl of vanilla ice cream. It’s divine!
Pie Crust: Roll out store bought pie crust (or canned biscuits). Use a pastry cutter or rim of large mouth glass to cut out individual crusts. Add a heaping tablespoon of apple pie filling to the crust rounds. Fold the crust over, line up edges. Use a fork to pinch the edges together to seal closed.
Frying: If desired, you can apply a light egg wash over each crust before frying. Lightly spray the Apple Pies with oil, add 2-3 pies to the Air Fryer basket – be sure not to over crowed the basket. Set the fryer to 350*F and fry for 4 minutes per side. Allow to sit for a few minutes before serving.
NOTE: Due to the nature of the pie, the some of the filling may seep out of the edges. This is normal.
Do you have to use Granny Smith Apples?
You don’t have to use Granny Smith Apples for these Fried Apple Pies, however, I highly recommend it. In my opinion, Granny Smith Apples tend to hold up better as they tend to be more firm than sweeter apples. Plus, this recipe has a decent amount of sugar and the tartness of the Granny Smith’s plays well with the sweetness.
However, if you don’t have access to Granny Smiths or prefer not to use them I would suggest McIntosh Apples as an alternative.
Don’t have an Air Fryer? I’ve got you covered!
How to make Deep Fried Apple Pie: Prepare the pies as directed above. Then, put in the freezer for approximately 20 minutes. Heat roughly 3 inches of either Peanut or Canola Oil in a deep skillet or stock pot to 350*F. For accuracy, use a candy thermometer to gauge proper temp. Drop 2-3 pies into the oil – careful not to overcrowd – and allow to fry for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. For a fun added treat, toss newly fried pies into a cinnamon sugar mixture and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
How to make Fried Apple Pies in the Oven: Preheat oven to 375*F. Prepare the pies as directed above. Lightly spray with oil or added crunch. Place on cookie sheet lined with either a sheet or parchment paper or Silpat. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- flour, for rolling out crust
- 1 pre-made pie crust
- sprayable oil
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Caramel sauce, optional
- Over medium high heat, add butter, apples, cinnamon, apple pie spice, and both sugars.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir mixture together until well combined
- Next, after butter has melted, reduce heat to medium
- Add vanilla and lemon juice
- Occasionally stir until apples are tender – this takes roughly 12-15 minutes
- Then, roll out pie crust – or canned biscuits – on a lightly floured surface
- Cut 8 crusts out with a pastry cutter or wide mouthed glass
- Add a heaping tablespoon of filling to the pie crusts
- Fold crust over and seal with the tines of a fork
- If desired, whip up one egg and gently brush egg wash over the crust
- Lightly apply cooking spray over crusts – for a nice crunch
- Add 2-3 pies to the air fryer basket – be careful not to over crowd the basket
- Set the fryer to 350*F and fry to approximately 4 minutes per side
- Allow to sit for a few minutes before serving
- These are delicious with a light drizzle of caramel sauce or with vanilla ice cream
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 3gSugar: 24gProtein: 4g
The nutritional values above are auto calculated by a nutrition program and can vary based on brands of ingredients used.
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.